Wednesday, January 2, 2019

DNA Path on the Journey

Read many articles and followed genealogy posts on DNA testing and how it assisted people with their ethnic make up as well as with their research.  I'm still on the path to figuring so much out with the testing results.  The DNA path started with asking my mother to do the test in 2006.  I was at a brick wall with her maternal side.  Her mother died when she was four years old and she had eleven children.  It appeared at the time my maternal grandmother may have been adopted or raised by a relative known to my mother and her sibling as grandmother (Matilda Harris Freeman 1877-1954). Matilda raised my grandmother, Susie Mae Young (1897-1937) in Alabama.  Matilda married George Freeman a coalminers in Jefferson County.  Susie Mae Young married John Henry Woodard (1889-1932) a coal miner in 1913.  Analyzing some records opened the possibility that Matilda may have been Susie Mae's biologic mother yet is not a sure thing.  Matilda had a previous marriage to a Marc Young in Elmore County, Alabama that ended up in what appears to be a divorce.  Susie Mae's death certificate stated her parens were unknown and the informant was her husband's first cousin, Charlie McClendon.  Charlie was in Alabama with John Henry and migrated to West Virginia with Susie and John as well as Matilda and George.  One would think he would have a good idea about Susie's family.  He also knew Matilda and her husband George.  These are a few of the fact that led to asking my mother to take FTDNA testing.

My mother's results were a bit surprising to me.  Her paternal side based on features appeared to be strongly African and during early generation there appears to be no mixed marriages.  Her results were 80% African (expected) and 20% Portuguese (surprising part).  This led me to research the role Portugal played during the slave trade.  Clearly, I had a lot to learn.  The migration of the maternal line went back to Ethiopia.  It was a surprising history yet no documentation.  I did the happy dance for my Mother for she always wanted to know more about her mother's side.  It was also disappointing that we couldn't come up with any additional information.

Mom transition in 2010 and while I delighted that we did the test, it left me a bit hollow.  By the time I learned more about DNA testing and decided to upgrade her test with the Y branch, the sample had deteriorated and didn't work.  The matches she has very few matches with two possible Africans ma that I've not contacted.  Not sure where I will go from here on her test.  My brother has been tested and I've been tested so who know where the path will lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment